9/26/2011

We miss you Gallien Krueger

Howdy and thanks for dropping by. This blog is all about persuading Gallien Krueger to make a re issue of the GK 250ML If enough of us rant about it, who knows maybe they will listen.

I will also try to consolidate the myriad of info scattered across the internet regarding the GK 250ML, things like adjusting the internal pots for the overdrive channel, speaker replacement and re-coning and of course my experiences using and customizing that darling little amp with the signature sound.

In case you don't know, the GK 250ML is a two channel stereo guitar amp, originally released around 1985 (possibly earlier) In it's day it was very popular and used by some major artists, such as Alex Lifeson of Rush, David Gilmour formerly of Pink Floyd and countless others.

If you have never heard one.. well you have truly missed one of life's special experiences. Granted the internal 6.5 inch speakers are a bit on the bright side, but when hooked up to larger external speakers.. words can not describe how good it sounds.

Factory set, kicking in the built in stereo chorus and echo onto the overdrive channel will transform a bland sounding guitar into a soaring rock/metal monster.

If you know a few Rush tunes from the Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves albums, you will be able to create that sound perfectly (the fingering is up to you of course) since Alex used the GK 250ML extensively for both recording and live performances.

And yes I admit it. I am a major Rush fan and the GK 250ML has earned a nick name of "Rush in a box" within some communities. But don't think that the 250ML is a one trick pony. With the 4 band EQ, the crystal clean clean channel which features built in compression, and a subtle overdrive you can get a wide range of sounds, from pristine clean Nashville picking to Stevie Ray Vaughn wailing blues all the way to the metal crunch thrash sound. It is a very versatile amp to say the least.

I run mine in the studio mainly on the clean channel with the chorus and echo on and use an external multi-FX pedel in the effects loop to further tailor the sound, but in a pinch I can just grab the amp and the external cabinets to do a gig no problem, and until I can hire a roadie, that is what I am most likely to do.

If it's just an impromptu low volume jam session I could even live without the external speaker cabinets. (Although by now those speakers need re-coning)

So anyways, enough about that. Next I'll be posting about how I have modified my GK 250ML to expand it's flexibility even more.

OH and if you would also like to see a reissue of the GK 250ML LET US KNOW by signing the gk 250ml revival petition..
Until then ROCK ON

4 comments:

  1. Hi there.I use a GK250ML for rehearsals! Coveted one 25 years ago but a paper round was never gonna afford me one! Lol.. Very distinctive sound & takes you 'right back to the 80's! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it possible to adjust the chorus on my amp? If so how? Please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I do not know of any way to adjust the chorus :(

    ReplyDelete